NHL Week 3 Summary
Here is this week’s top NHL news summary as chosen by me. Lots of “firsts” this week, but also a lot of controversies. Also this week, we learned that hockey isn’t just a past time that we all enjoy together, it’s also a bond that unites us in times of need.
All headlines are linked to articles with further detail, so enjoy! Please let me know if there is any errors/anything that you think I should add to this list and I will fix it/deem if it is worthy.
Sunday October 19th 2014:
- Jonathan Drouin of the Tampa Bay Lightning is recalled from the AHL.
- Frederik Andersen joins Ross Brooks (BOS) as the only goalies in NHL history to win 25 (or more) of his first 30 decisions.
Monday October 20th 2014:
- Tuukka Rask of the Boston Bruins fills in as a drummer for the Mustn’ts.
- The Buffalo Sabres will retire Dominik Hasek’s number on January 13th.
- The Calgary Flames sign defenseman TJ Brodie to a 5-year contract.
- Tampa Bay Lightning’s Victor Hedman is out for 4-6 weeks.
- Slava Voynov of the LA Kings has been suspended indefinitely due to charges of domestic violence.
- The Edmonton Oilers won their first game of the season.
Tuesday October 21st 2014:
- Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings makes his season debut against the Montreal Canadiens.
- Seth Griffith of the Boston Bruins scores his first career NHL goal.
Wednesday October 22nd 2014:
- The Minnesota Wild sign Charlie Coyle to a 5-year extension.
- Canadian anthem is sung before the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins game after the Ottawa shootings.
- With an assist tonight, Nicklas Backstrom becomes the first player from the 2006 draft to reach 500 points, Beating Toews, Kessel, Giroux
- Cory Perry has 2 hat tricks in 7 games this season.
Thursday October 23rd 2014:
- Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a left knee ligament injury.
- Darcy Kuemper of the Minnesota Wild has achieved 3 shutouts in 4 games.
- Jonathan Quick has become the LA Kings’ franchise leader in shutouts with 33 shutouts.
Friday October 24th 2014:
- Top ranked prospect Jonathan Drouin of the Tampa Bay Lightning scores his first career NHL goal.
- The New Jersey Devils have lost 18 straight in the shootout.
- 2014 3rd overall draft pick Leon Draisaitl of the Edmonton Oilers scores his first career NHL goal.
- Jarome Iginla scores his first as a member of the Colorado Avalanche.
Saturday October 25th 2014:
- Ottawa Senators and New Jersey Devils honour fallen Canadian soldiers.
- The Buffalo Sabres have won 7 in a row vs. the San Jose Sharks.
Cover Photo Credit: http://www.hdwallsource.com/nhl-wallpaper-15321.html