Monday January 16th 2017 – Sunday January 22nd 2017
Here is this week’s top NHL news. This post is just meant to be a convenient way for some people out there who are busy during the week and need a nice condensed list of what has happened in the NHL each week. All headlines are linked to articles with further detail. Please let me know if there are any errors/anything that you think I should add to this list and I will fix it/deem if it is worthy.
Injury Report: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nhl/all/
Trade Report: http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre
Suspensions Report: https://www.nhl.com/news/t-277549076
Monday January 16th:
- The St. Louis Blues have won a game in Anaheim for the first time since October 17, 2009.
- Auston Matthews’ Game Worn Centennial Classic jersey just sold for $11,400
- Crosby, who wears #87, pulls into tie for 87th all-time in scoring, after winning an 8-7 game
- There were 9 goals in the second period of the Caps Pens game today.
- Backstrom has put up 11 pts in his last 5 gp
- Marchand has put up 11 pts in his last 5 gp
- Evgeni Malkin has just recorded his 11th career hat trick!
- The loser of the Penguins-Capitals game will be the third team in 20 years to score 7 goals and lose
- Nicklas Backstrom (WSH), Brad Marchand (BOS), Brock McGinn (CAR) are the three stars of the week.
- Zibanejad will play for the first time tomorrow since Nov 20 after breaking his leg
- Penguins place Kris Letang on injured reserve
- With Vrabata scoring in tonight’s game, the Arizona Coyotes finally have a player reaching 10 goals scored this season
- Patrik Laine named The Hockey Player Of The Year 2016 in Finland
- “Bickell at practice again. Another step in right direction.”
Tuesday January 17th:
- Islanders fire Jack Capuano
- Marchand: Players would accept a gay teammate, ‘no question’
- NHL has issued memo to all clubs/goalies saying all netminders must be wearing the “new” re-designed/size appropriate pants by Feb 4.
- 20th IIHF Hall of Fame class named: Saku Koivu, Angela Ruggiero, Dieter Kalt, Teemu Selänne, Uwe Krupp, and Joe Sakic
- Oilers’ Khaira is 3rd player of Punjabi descent to score in NHL
- Winnipeg Jets have recalled Ondrej Pavelec.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets are the first team to 30 wins in the 2016-2017 season.
- Burns and Jumbo barbershop commercial: THE OUTTAKES
- The Oilers have matched their win total from 2014-15 in 46 games.
- Marian Hossa is 32nd player in NHL history to record 500 goals and 600 assists.
- Hearing NYI have permission to talk to former Florida coach Gerard Gallant. He was an Islanders’ assistant from 2007-09.
- NSH claims Brad Hunt from STL on waivers
- For the 3rd time this season. Flyers prospect, Carter Hart, is named WHL Goalie of the Week
- Assistant GM Doug Weight will serve as interim Head Coach [for Islanders].
Wednesday January 18th:
- The Colorado Avalanche are on pace for the most regulation losses since the expansion Atlanta Thrashers of 1999-2000.
- Chris Kreider fined $5,000 for hitting Cody Eakin with his helmet
- Connor McDavid 100th career point on Kassian goal
- The trophy for best defenseman in the Quebec Midget AAA league is now named the Kristopher Letang Trophy
- McDavid ranks 4th among active players in fewest games played to reach 100 points [behind Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin]
- Vincent Viola Police Report: The Florida Panthers owner was accused in August of punching a concessions worker in the face at a high-end racehorse auction.
- With his goal against the NY Rangers last night, Jamie Benn has now registered a goal against all 29 teams.
- Dreger: NHL has made deal with Tencent to deliver digital NHL content throughout Asia
- NHL adds crazy shot accuracy event to All-Star Skills Competition
Thursday January 19th:
- Leon Draisaitl scores his 100th career point from an insane OT goal from McDavid
- T.J. Oshie has now scored against all 30 NHL teams with his goal tonight against the Blues
- Canucks recall Jordan Subban from Utica
- Coyotes assign Duclair to AHL.
- Dreger: Sounds like Shattenkirk is willing to consider several options: Leafs, Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Sharks, Ducks, and Avs
- After 18 straight games without a goal, Jordan Eberle ties it up late against the Panthers
- Joe Thornton has passed Johnny Bucyk for sole possession of 24th all-time in points (1,370)
- Thomas Greiss has recorded back to back shutouts
- Michael Grabner is the first Ranger to reach 20 goals on the team this season
- Panthers place Seth Griffith on waivers
- Pavel Buchnevich has 14 points in 14 NHL games.
- Panthers: Rowe said there is concern on Huberdeau and Barkov being season ending injuries. Finally said Barkov’s injury is upper body not lower.
- Roman Josi confirms he has a concussion, says he will skate again next week
Friday January 20th:
- Henrik “the tank” Sedin, first player in Canucks history to reach 1000 points
- Henrik Sedin’s 1000th point in the NHL
- Hurricanes equipment manager Jorge Alves, who was emergency backup for one game, will get his own hockey card
- PK Subban activated from IR, will play tonight
- “Clarke MacArthur will not play this year, GM Pierre Dorion announces. #Sens”
- Craig Andersen will return in late January/ Early Febuary, will be back for good
- Leafs (re)claim Seth Griffith
- Blues have recalled Pheonix Copley
- Dallas Stars: Johnny Oduya re-injures ankle, out 2-4 weeks
Saturday January 21st:
- The Edmonton Oilers are on pace to have their best regular season since 1987-88.
- Ovi scores from his office to tie Gretzky for 15th all time in power play goals
- Ehlers clap bomb to surpass his season high in goals.
- Kings acquire Cam Schilling from the Blackhawks for Michael Latta.
- Erik Condra placed on waivers by the #TBLightning.
- Hannikeinen scores his first career goal (CBJ vs CAR)
Sunday January 22nd:
- Henrik Lundqvist is the first NHL goalie to get at least 20 wins in his first 12 seasons
- Patrik Laine skating today without the non-contact jersey!
- Curtis Lazar Has Recorded His First Point This Season!
- Lightning looking more like deadline sellers (Boyle, Filppula, Bishop, and others)
- Drew Miller (DET) is on waivers. Condra (TB) cleared
- Tyler Seguin of the Dallas Stars became the first player from the 2010 NHL Draft class to reach the 400-point milestone (179-221—400).