Monday January 23rd 2017 – Sunday January 29th 2017
Here is this week’s top NHL news. This post is just meant to be a convenient way for some people out there who are busy during the week and need a nice condensed list of what has happened in the NHL each week. All headlines are linked to articles with further detail. Please let me know if there are any errors/anything that you think I should add to this list and I will fix it/deem if it is worthy.
Injury Report: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nhl/all/
Trade Report: http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre
Suspensions Report: https://www.nhl.com/news/t-277549076
Monday January 23rd:
- Patrick “Hattrick” Marleau has recorded a natural hat trick!
- Patrick Marleau has scored his 4th goal in the third period
- Patrick Marleau became the 12th player in NHL history to score 4 goals in a period & the first since Mario Lemieux on Jan. 26, 1997 at MTL.
- Miller calls United Center sheet ‘the worst ice I’ve seen in my career’
- Conor Sheary, Thomas Greiss and T.J. Oshie named NHL’s 3 stars of the week.
- Sens sign Zack Smith to four-year contract extension
- Drew Miller clears waivers
- Crosby, Burns and Matthews top annual TSN coaches’ poll
- Michel Therrien confirms that Alex Galchenyuk will not play against the Flames on Tuesday night after re-aggravating his knee injury.
Tuesday January 24th:
- Avalanche’s .311 points percentage is the worst of any NHL team — since the 2000-01 season (480 teams). That’s something.
- The Sens have acquired forward Tommy Wingels from San Jose in exchange for Buddy Robinson, Zack Stortini and a 2017 7th-round pick.
- Today’s trade is the first between the #Sens and #SJSharks since Ottawa acquired Michalek & Cheechoo in exchange for Heatley on 9/12/09
- According to Paul Maurice, Patrik Laine is in the lineup tonight.
- Blackhawks’ three season streak of not losing in regulation when leading after two periods has been broken. 78-1-5
- Brent Burns hit 20 goals in 48 team games to become fastest d-man to hit mark since Kevin Hatcher in 1992-93 (20 in 48 team games w/ WSH).
- Brent Burns is on pace for 35 goals. Last defenseman to have that many was Paul Coffey in 1986.
- Arizona’s Peter Holland fined $3,611.11, the maximum allowable under CBA, for a punch to an unsuspecting opponent,Tampa Bay’s Ondrej Palat.
- Quick(LAK)’s return timetable from groin injury pushed back to March
- On Thursday, 1/26, Doug Wilson will become the 4th GM ever in the NHL to reach 1,000 games as a player and 1,000 as a GM.
- With a regulation loss to the Senators tonight, tonight is the first game since December 27th where the Capitals haven’t recorded at least a point
Wednesday January 25th:
- Frederik Andersen has posted B2B shutouts for the first time in his career
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have set a new franchise record by picking up at least a point in their 11th straight road game.
- Evgeni Malkin will miss tomorrow’s game and the All-Star Game with a lower-body injury
- Elliotte Friedman on Twitter: NJ claims Noesen
- Ottawa Senators looking at opening next season with games in Sweden
- With his shutout win tonight against the Rangers. Steve Mason moves into sole possesion of 3rd place for Wins by a goalie in Flyers history
Thursday January 26th:
- The Colorado Avalanche have not won in regulation since December 11
- Marchand Fined $10,000 for Slew Foot, No Suspension
- Cam Atkinson has been added to all star game
- Canadiens acquire defenseman Nikita Nesterov from Tampa, in return for defenseman Jonathan Racine and a 6th round pick in 2017.
- Patrik Laine becomes first rookie to reach 40 points this season.
- The Islanders have gotten 9 out of 10 possible points in their last 5 games after firing Jack Capuano.
- Tortorella will miss tonight’s game and the All Star game due to a family emergency.
- Varlamov is done for the season, according to his father
- It took the Vancouver Canucks about 28 minutes to take their first shot against the Arizona Coyotes.
- Flyers end Leafs 11 game road point streak.
- Patrice Bergeron passes Bobby Orr to take 7th most power play goals in Bruins history, at 75
Friday January 27th:
- 100 Greatest NHL Players of All Time
- Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux. The three greatest players of all time.
- The Colorado Avalanche is the only team with less than 100 goals
- Tortorella’s absence prompted by sick dog
- Steve Mason replaces child’s stolen goalie equipment
- Tampa Bay waive Dumont and Bournival
Saturday January 28th:
- Connor McDavid has officially broken Mike Gartner’s record as the Fastest Skater!
- Chris Pronger destroys Justin Bieber
- Wayne Gretzky will replace John Tortorella as Metropolitan coach for All-Star weekend
- Mario Lemieux ‘absolutely’ sees a day when Penguins retire Jaromir Jagr’s number
- To nobody’s surprise Don Cherry hates the All-Star game
- Las Vegas will be able to start making player transactions around March 1, including trades related to expansion draft.
- Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos says he’s open to the possibility of selling the entire team
- For the second consecutive year Shea Weber has the hardest shot in the NHL at 102.8mph
- John Tavares says he’s open to discussing for an extension with the NYI this summer. Adds “I’m excited about where the organization is headed.”
- Report: Kings play-by-play broadcaster Bob Miller hospitalized
- TIL Laine is the second youngest player to ever play int he all star game…
- Bettman on possible Hurricanes sale: “The club isn’t moving.”
- Team Atlantic Division wins the All Star Game Skills Competition
Sunday January 29th:
- Crosby sets up an Ovechkin goal
- Metropolitan Division has won the 2017 All Star Game
- Wayne Simmonds (PHI) wins the 2017 All Star Game MVP Award
- Sidney Crosby is now the captain of the current Olympic, World Cup, Stanley Cup, and All Star Game winning teams.
- Taylor Hall is now 4-0 in the 3-on-3 All-Star Games
- James Wisniewski signs with AHL’s Chicago Wolves